If you always wanted to visit Melbourne, then you should definitely consider giving St Kilda a shot as well. This is a city located very close to Melbourne and which is widely known for being a rather remarkable location. But what makes this place stand out? Right off the bat, you will notice that this is one of the most picturesque points of the Bay.
A lot of people from Melbourne come to St Kilda to enjoy some peace and quiet most of the time. Moreover, the fact that you have sandy beaches and a plethora of entertainment options does tend to make the city a place great for fun and relaxation.
St Kilda history
What you have to note about St Kilda is that at the beginning of the 20th century, this is one of the most fashionable places near Melbourne. Not only did this have grand homes and grand people, but many aristocrats chose to live here in order to enjoy the healthy environment. Nowadays, St Kilda is a place of retreat and entertainment, but it still has a plethora of locals that have managed to retain their uniqueness and outstanding appeal for quite a lot of time.
The thing you have to keep in mind about St Kilda is that during the 50s and 60s, this place was at the haunt of druggies and prostitutes. Not a lot of people entered the region because lots of unlawful businesses and people ended up reaching the suburbs of Melbourne. Obviously, St Kilda was one of these places, and it did bring in front some rather challenging situations for the government. Thankfully, everything calmed down, and things soon went back to normal. This means we now get to enjoy the city of St Kilda in all of its glory and the experience on its own is perfect!
Nowadays, St Kilda managed to become of the best tourist destinations out there, and it’s renowned for the proximity to Melbourne, it’s one of a kind beaches, the wonderful café lifestyle, and the unique restaurants. St Kilda also has a plethora of music venues. Moreover, you will also be able to find the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron in St Kilda as well!
The takeaway here is that St Kilda was and still is an incredible place. Sure, it did change quite a lot throughout the years, but nowadays it’s one of the most impressive entertainment locations that you can find out there. It certainly shines in this regard, and it shows the true value of this wonderful Melbourne suburb.
What places should you visit while in St Kilda?
Maybe the best thing about St Kilda is that it always manages to provide you with a sight to behold. Plus, the simple fact that you can easily come here and enjoy your free time does tend to work to your own advantage. But St Kilda is more than just a suburb. It’s an incredible location and one that will impress you with its unique appeal and outstanding visual style. As for the places that you can visit in St Kilda, here are some of the best:
- The Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron is residing in St Kilda, and it has been like that for decades. The simple fact that you can see multiple yachts in here is outstanding, and you will be impressed with the sheer attention to detail and incredible visuals. Plus, you get to enjoy some yacht cruises too if you book them beforehand.
- Robe Street is one of the most interesting locations in the region. It’s a fashionable street and one that does have some very interesting Edwardian houses. If you always wanted to explore some one of a kind houses from decades or even centuries ago, this is the right place to do it.
- St Kilda Botanic Gardens! These are outstanding because they feature hundreds of different plant types. The rose gardens on their own are spectacular and some of the best in the region. This is one of the best kept secrets in the region and one of the places that you may want to visit right away!
- Luna Park is known for being a very old fun fair located in St Kilda. It’s one of the pivotal landmarks for the region. The roller coaster and the laughing face facade have been classified by the National trust. It looks amazing and it does bring in front a great set of laughs to the table. It is one of the most important entertainment locations in the city.
- The Lower Esplanade has the aforementioned Luna Park, but it also has the St Kilda Baths as well as the Palais Theater. If you want to have fun and explore some incredible locations, you may certainly want to give this a shot!
- The Acland Street is known for the fact that it has some of the best cake shops out there. Melbournians and tourists alike enjoy the high-quality cakes and bakery products that you can find here. Plus, moist backpackers enjoy this place thanks to its resounding visual appeal, and it also gets to be very close to the St Kilda beaches. So, if you want to take a break and maybe drink some coffee and enjoy some cakes, this is the street to visit.
Also make out to check out our blog of more St Kilda Must do’s.
In the end, St Kilda is all about being a modern location for tourists. Despite that, there are lots of older places like the Luna Park or the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron that have been around for quite some time. If you always wanted to visit a place that seamlessly combines traditionalism with a modern appeal, St Kilda is the right location to check out. The city is incredible, the vistas are second to none, and you will be more than immersed into the entire experience. It shows the true power of the St Kilda City! No matter if you are a tourist or you just live nearby and never visited St Kilda, this is the right time to do it. Check it out; there’s a lot to see here!
Check out our range of affordable St Kilda accomodation.